Back in the day, like 1999-2001, I was working at the Venetian. It was such a fun job that I stumbled into and I always wished I had a single video of it. About a month ago, I got this message on facebook from a lady that had come and rode on my boat in the first year that I worked there. She was there with her husband and brother and sister in law. Anyway, she found me on facebook (one of the advantages of having an odd name is that random people can find you) and asked if I was the same girl that had worked at the venetian 10 or so years ago. We exchanged messages back and forth, she mentioned that she had come across the video from that trip. So I checked the mail today and she sent me the video! She recorded the entire boat ride. It was so funny to watch it and see how different and completely obnoxious I was, not that I'm not obnoxious now but that video shows it on a whole other level. Holy Cow what a girl will do for tips. Anyway...how random is that?? Its also so awesome to hear myself sing opera, I can't sing like that anymore after having Connor, Maureen will never know how priceless this video is to me now. I doubt I'll ever let anyone actually see it but it was so fun to see it myself. Oh that fake accent is so embarrassing! The owner wanted the experience to be completely authentic so all of us had to make up a story of how we immigrated here and we had hours of Italian classes to help learn to speak english with an italian accent and enough italian to hopefully fool the tourist. If any of us were caught speaking normally OR tell who we really are and where we're from we'd get fired on the spot. (Sorry Maureen, I'm hoping you know all this and not thinking I'm such a fraud!) I was one of the only ones that could keep my actual name because it was European, everyone else had a fake name which is all the more amazing she found me. If it were anyone else she wouldn't have. Most of my immigration story was actually true, it was just my mom's dad's story...tweaked a little. This picture was out of US News, they were doing a story on how Vegas was attempting to be family friendly, I had no idea the guy taking the pictures on my boat was doing a story until it showed up in the magazine a month later. In it I circled the ding in the bridge where I had crashed, one of my many mishaps in the first few days I was on the water. Those boats were hard!
So I thought I'd share my random story. Thank you Maureen for finding me and taking the time to send this video 10 plus years later. Some people are so awesome.
4 comments:
Mari,
I had no idea! That job sounds like so much fun, I mean... who gets to tell people that they got to work on a gondola singing opera? I really want to see that video now!
Post the video!!!! I wanna see it!
SOOOO not happening! It was beyond obnoxious, I even hid it from Jim. Plus I was a big fat liar in it, it was my job to lie, but its hard to listen to the BS I'm feeding these people!
Dear Mari I think you have an amazing life story! Haha
Post a Comment