Friday, October 22, 2010

Huh....How 'Bout that!

A few months ago yet another cat (why they are flocking to my house is beyond me), found her way to my house. She was so sweet, way cute and the kids fed her outside and played with her for about a week. My nephews next door, Jaxon and Jake are pretty allergic to most furry creatures but just couldn't resist holding, kissing, and hugging this kitten. Poor Melina was running out of Benodryl. So...I decided that she was going to be a barn kitty. The Burgess' have been building this barn out at Horse Alley to put chickens, bunnies, and whatever else so I thought "baby bear" would be a perfect barn kitty. So we took one of Ebby's beds and some food and showed her the barn that would be her new home. Jayme and her kids stop by from time to time and she's been doing great.

Bev, the kids, Jayme, and I went to the Barn to pick beets to bottle. On the way I stopped, a few lots over was this poor dog that had our kitty's food bucket stuck on his head. He no doubt made his way over there and ate it, getting his head stuck. We laughed and then decided to help the poor thing. So I got out, and pulled, it was REALLY stuck on there and the dog jerked away. I got him to come back, I gripped the rim and pulled, pulled, twisted, and pulled some more. It was really on there good. It finally popped off, the dog growled and attacked my leg. He bit me and then IMMEDIATELY went back over and put the bucket BACK on his head....? Like how DARE you take that off! So I laughed, and thought, "keep the dumb thing on! See if I care!"

We got to the barn and started picking beets. Little Bear walked over to us and I about passed out. The poor thing was skinned to her spine, completely scalped from her stomache to her tail. It was the most disgusting and revolting thing I had ever seen, I'm guessing the jerk of a dog did it when he took her food bucket. So Jayme and I took it straight to the vet and put her down. So sad. I've never seen that. I have never wanted to. I'm a complete animal lover and can't kill anything to save my life, but I couldn't see her suffer like that. I washed my hands and just sobbed. I felt dumb so I went outside while Jayme paid.

On the way home we stopped at the pet control to report the dog. Why would anyone get a pet to just leave with no food? I guarantee the poor thing was just hungry. I don't agree with people who get animals and then don't take care of them. I understand that some dogs are there to protect their livestock from other predators, but you can give them the necessary ammenities. He was clearly starving.

Anyway, that was our night. I'm sure the kids will be talking about it for a while.  And I'm not going to lie, if Bev, Jayme, and the kids weren't there and I wasn't still laughing about the dog putting the bucket back on...I would've cried.  It hurt something fierce!


5 comments:

Rebecca Henrie said...

Mari, that is SO sad and nasty!! Ouch, your leg looks terrible, and I am so sorry about the little cat. Darn it!!

Dolly said...

I'm more worried about your dog bite wound than the animals. Hope YOUR doctor got to see the bite mark and bruise on your poor leg:/

Mari Burgess said...

Oh you're sweet Dolly...thankfully I had thick corduroy pants on so although it did cut the skin, his teeth never made it through my pants. It did hurt though, I'm not going to lie!

Dolly said...

Thank Heaven! You're definately braver than I am-when it comes to dogs, cats and spiders:) Pets, insects and vermin...*I'm also impressed that you bottle beets:) My great Uncle-Philo T. Farnsworth was plowing the beet fields, when he came up with his idea for television (Little bit of history for ya) That's who Nick is named after too! Nicholas Farnsworth

The Schexnayders said...

Mari, you have the most interesting life stories. You should write a book!