Friday, January 16, 2009

Update...


I had an uptake scan yesterday and the day before. It was a three part scan. Basically they give you a tracking pill (radioactive so it would glow) to see what the thyroid was doing. They couldn't find hardly any in the thyroid. The doctor called and said that there are only two possible outcomes of that. 1. I was sneaking into Heather and mom's medicine cabinet and stealing their thyroxine 2. Its a virus that caused it. He said that your thyroid basically has a pool of reserve thyroxine, I got a virus that attacked it and made it shut down making it dump all its reserve into my body (hence my symptoms of too much thyroid). He said that it takes about 6-8 weeks on average for it to circulate completely then it will go Hypo for about 6 months, then go back to normal. He said given that I passed out on Christmas, I'm in this at least 5 weeks. He said that the first of February, we'll do another blood test to see what my levels are, and test it once a month from there. As soon as my levels go down, he'll give me replacement medication, continue the blood tests to see when it goes back. Out of all the outcomes, this one is definately the best. Any outcome would make me "wait it out", this one at least resolves itself where the other outcomes wouldn't (I LOVE YOU JILL!!!!)

Until then, he said to slowly come off the beta blockers. Yesterday I stopped by the office on the way home from the hospital and my heart never got above 105 beats a minute (thats so great for me), thats with only 20 mg of beta blockers, I can take up to 40 and had been taking that much for the past few days. So, I would guess I'm on my way down. Poor Jayme, Melina, Bev, Jim, and mom are keeping their fingers crossed. Thank you to everyone who has made us dinner, taken our kids, cleaned my house, called or sent emails. Thank you for caring, thank you for helping where you can. I appreciate everything!

5 comments:

The Bartons said...

That's great! Or at least mostly great. Sad you will be down but at least you will get better. BTW your kids are darling!

Candyce

Heath Family said...

Glad to hear things are getting better! How scary for you guys.

The Schexnayders said...

Hey Mari, Sorry to hear about your thyroid scare! I got hypothyroid when I was pregant with Ayden and it kicked my butt. Im glad yours will work itself out. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mari! I wondered where you were. Your blog was not being updated. I am soo sorry to hear about all that. I have thyroid problem but mine is underactive. I am glad they have figured it out. I wish the very best to you. Talk to Jill I think she had something similar. Take care girl. Laurie

Anderson Family said...

Hey Mari. Sorry I missed lunch yesterday. I wanted to see how you were doing. I talked to Jill and she said they have still not figured out what is going on for sure. I am so sorry. I will pray for you. I hope you get on top of this soon.
Laurie