Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm still here...sort of.

So, about a month ago I didn't feel great, it felt a bit like pregnant sick. Went to the doctor and wasn't pregnant. Still didn't feel great, doctor thought I was just stressed. Then, christmas morning I was flipping scones at Jayme's house and felt a little funny, room started spinning. Jim came over to stand next to me while Joe said the prayer, as soon as I closed my eyes I fainted. I thought I was just too hot. For about a month, I had this lump on the bottom of my throat, right next to my collar bone (don't know how to spell that). Went to the ENT to see what it was. He asked if I was tired, nauseated (don't know how to spell that either...feeling a little dumb), and if my heart felt like it was skipping beats. I told him that I was feeling all those things. He ordered tests and found out that my thyrpoid was off the charts (the lump is actually my swollen thyroid), was producing way too much thyroxine, sending too much to my heart making it overwork, (which explained why it said my heart was reading at 137 beats a minute (normal is 80-100).

I have been in bed for a week now, I lose about a pound a day. The elevated heart rate makes me feel like I've run a marathron by going to the bathroom. Wipes me out and makes me feel like I've been hit by a train. Always really hot. At first, I made it out of bed long enough to do laundry and dinner, next day just dinner, next day just to the bathroom and back. The doctor put me on Beta Blockers, had to increase it 3 times because my heart was skipping a beat a few times a minute and trying to keep it under 110 beats a minute. He said that whether I have Graves Disease, (body's immune system attacks the thyroid) or Hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid) theres nothing they can do till the thyroid calms down. He says my thyroid will do this for a while, go way down to where it makes no thyroid at all and then hopefully go back to normal. He said that overall, it takes a few months to go back to normal, I'm hoping I'm in this at least a month, I'm guessing its what made me feel crappy a month or so ago and why I passed out at Christmas.

So....I'm not ignoring anyone, I am still here. And can I just tell you how amazing my family is? Jim has the kids majority of the time, Jayme, Bev, Melina, Karen, and my mom have taken their turns with them so that he can get a little work done. They have kept us fed and have cleaned my house. I am truly blessed and thankful to have them. I'm sitting here wondering whether to post this or not, its sounding more like a pity post than an update, but I use this blog as my journal and not that I want to remember this or think I'll forget it, it is what it is. Hopefully this is short lived, its getting old!

6 comments:

Marylin said...

Oh girl I wish I lived closer so I could help! I am so sorry about all that! Thinking of you!!

Higbee said...

Wow that's scary! I'm sorry, I had no idea! I'm not the greatest cook but I'd love to come clean your house or watch your kids! I'll try to get a hold of you tomorrow :)

Wiscombes said...

MarEEEEEEEEE! Wouldn't you know it?! With all the family history of thyroid problems, you WOULD be the first and only one to have the OVER active stuff!! Heaven forbid if you had to gain a little weight in you life time! I am sorry Mari. Darn it! During the New Years epidemic, you seemed a little tired but you still looked great as usual. Did you or your family ever come down with the junk? Oooooh that would have not been good to add to this dumb stuff. I love you. Aunt Venita

Candi and Skeet said...

Hey, why didn't you say anything? I would love to help out with dinner or something. Please let me know which night would be best for it. I hope you start feeling better soon!! Seriously if you ever need anything... and I mean anything let me know. I am always in your neighborhood anyway. Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Candi

Kristin, Scott, Emily and Eric said...

Mari!

I'm sorry you're not feeling well! It was really fun to see you guys when we went sledding the other day though. I hope that they are able to calm your thyroid down soon. If I can help out with the kids at all, or make you guys a dinner PLEASE let me know. Heaven only knows how much you've helped me out in the 3 years I've known you. Love you lots!

Kristin Mabb

Heidi Wood said...

Mari- I'm sorry about your sickness. Hang in there. I'll be praying for you.