The last time I went to this beach house in California, Heather and Mom enjoyed it so much they put a deposit down for last week (this was back in June when I was way too pregnant), asked if I would want to go... I immediately told them no, it didn't sound appealing to drag three kids under 3 BY MY SELF with the youngest being less than two months old. They both told me that I would feel different after I wasn't so pregnant. I thought there wasn't any chance. They all worked on me till I finally caved, and brought Kristina to help! I am glad I went, it did have its moments though...I don't know if Kristina will ever come with me ever again, but we did have a good time! The weather was gorgeous and it was so fun to spend time with just us girls!
Lilly was good during the day, had her moments at night...she was mostly stuffed up and couldn't breathe so I can't blame her for that, but she did learn to smile this trip...she must've had a GREAT time.
My cousin Nicole's little Martin...well I shouldn't say little, he's 11 months old and is BIGGER than Lauren, and we all know Lauren holds her own in the chubby area.
Grandma had a great time, I told her she would no sooner let Aurie, Nicole, and I do this to her than fly to the moon, Belle must have that smooth talk down.
However, the highlight of this trip for me by far was the bike. When we explained to Grandma about how the beach house was on the beach, the only thing between the beach and the condo was the bike path that ran along Newport she was determined to ride a bike again, she kept saying she wanted to ride a bike so bad. Mom and I were concerned because of how busy the bike path gets...especially with how hard it is for her to hear, someone could zoom pass her and scare her, we were worried about her crashing and all that. So I looked everywhere for a place that rented those giant three wheeled bikes. No one rented them because they took up too much room in their showroom..stupid fat hobbits. So, Heather looked on Craig's list and found a bike that a guy in long beach was selling for $250. The brand new ones were well over $1000 so we didn't know what to expect, but in good faith, Renee, mom, Heather and I chipped in and we were off. Heather and I zipped over to Long Beach and were DELIGHTED to see this bike...so cute!
We took it back and planned to tell Grandma that we rented it and see how she liked it..She was pretty excited.
Grandma rode that thing till sundown, up and down the board walk. Kept saying over and over how fun it was, maybe she should buy one (tee hee), where could she find it...she was so excited. So, we planned a surprise unbirthday party for her, Heather made this card that everyone signed and I made fruit pizza
We brought her out of her room where she was reading, and she looked at the card. At first she didn't get it...
Then it she started figuring it out and kept saying, "You didn't!! You didn't!! What are you saying? YOU DIDN'T!!" Absolutely sobbing, so I started crying, Heather started crying, I don't think any of us expected her to react this way...we figured she'd just be tickled and that was it...she was truly touched. She said it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done, that she'd always wanted a bike of her own. That her sisters were going to be SOOOO jealous! It will go down in my book as one of the sweetest experiences of my life. Grandma lived right next door to us growing up, we've always been close, and I know that she knows that I love her...but to be able to pitch in for a silly red bike seemed to show her how much we all love her. I love you Grandma
Poor Lilly had horrible belly and somehow Aur had the magic touch. She put her to sleep every night by bouncing her on her legs that seemed to soothe her poor little tummy...
She'd grunt most the night, then early one morning I heard some explosion next to me and this was the result...
It was bigger than me, so we had an early sink bath...great fun.
The night that Grandma got her bike, she made Heather lock it good, checked on it a million times, was so worried someone was going to steal it. Heather looked out the window two mornings later to see that someone had cut the chain and took mom's way nice mountain bike...don't worry, they did leave their duct taped, rusty, beat up, broken chain beach cruiser in its place...that was nice. I was so worried about what Grandma's reaction was going to be. Mom called the cops, they came and while they were there Grandma saw them there and asked why. All Heather was able to get out was, "Someone cut the bike chain and...." Grandma shrieked, "My bike!!!" Although she was did feel really bad that moms bike was gone, she was so relieved that hers was still there.
I wish I had the pictures from the day at the tide pools, Livy and Lauren were naked in the sand and it was so cute. Heather took some really good ones of them...she promised she'd get them to me, I'll add them as soon as she does. So cute. All in all, good trip. I missed Jim tons, but the weather was beautiful...mom and I went running on the beach a few mornings and although I hobbled for a few days after, it was one of the most peaceful, beautiful moments of my life. The air smelled so good, we saw dolphins in the waves, pelicans wobbling on the shoreline, beautiful! It was so fun to spend time with the women that mean so much to me in my life. I am so blessed
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Girl trip to California!
Posted by Mari Burgess at 3:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mari, I have always been so touched by your sweet spirit but this blog gave me such an insight to the amazing women you have become, thank you for You! Karen Ivy
Yes she is an amazing young mother Karen. In fact I feel such joy in watching all my 'girls' being mothers. They are all such good ones. The time together with them are times never to be forgotten and cherished forever.
Post a Comment