I think the first time I went to the fair I was around 8 or 9. It was a pretty big deal for little ole' Logandale and we would do chores, save up, and ride the rides till we just about passed out. I remember the feeling of dirt in my eyes, ears, hair, and between my toes and LOVED every minute of it. Mom and I use to sing at the fair. We sang "Candle on the Water" and the "horsey song" (back before they got a lot pickier about their entertainment lol). One particular year, I saved my money so that I could afford a carnival ticket for ALL THREE days and successfully purchased the coveted tickets. Only to go to Jackie Briggs' house without being asked and got grounded from the fair. Sad thing was, I still had to sing....so I had to go, but had to admire the carnival from afar. That was the HARDEST year and you can bet I never went somewhere without asking mom first again.
We went every year after and even long after we moved away, we continued to come back to the BEST fair ever. However life tends to happen and the last year I have been able to take the kids to the fair was when Connor was 3. I made a goal to get to the fair and boy was it fun...but man do I lack the stomach I use to have. Lilly got me on the Gravitron, then to the Round up, and I felt like I was going to puke....but she somehow successfully talked me into going straight to the zipper. I wasn't at all concerned, after all....it use to be my FAVORITE ride in all of history when I was her age. Let me tell you...it was a constant and concerted effort to not vomit my toes. I just kept focusing. Don't puke Mar, don't be that rider that vomits and gets everyone covered in puke below you. Don't do it. Just breath. Breath. You got this. Just breath. I remembered...it always went front wards then backwards...then it was done. I held on. It went backwards...hallelujah....wait....why is it still going???? Great. They've chosen THIS round to give us a bonus spin. Awesome. I'm going to die.
I barely made it off, Lilly tried to get me to go on the "Freak out".....Freak no Miss Lil. I had to lay down.
Later we went on the "Freak out", we as in Sarah, Lilly, Lauren, and I. It was fun but holy cow was INTENSE. It was super high! We get off, girls really wanted Grandma Carter to go....but I know better, she HATES heights. So the girls hatched a plan to fib a little and somehow got her on the ride. Once she was strapped in, Lilly gleefully leaned over and said, "You're gonna go HIGH, you're gonna get SICK, and you're gonna DIE!" Mom is such a good sport.
Lilly....stomach of steel
Before the carnival even opened, Miss Sarah won this mug from the local Mortuary vendor. Of course she hauled that sucker on every single ride. Atta girl Sarah.










0 comments:
Post a Comment