Sunday, June 08, 2008

Stuck, stuck, stuck!

So, Bev has had this goal to spend a few days a week at the cabin. She called me Wednesday morning and asked if I'd go up with the kids and stay over night. She said that Jayme was coming the next morning and that they were going to spend another night. I packed up the kids and Jim took us up. Joe and Bev met us up there. The boys stayed for a little while, then went back down to Cedar leaving us alone for the night. That night it stormed and we woke up to about 6 or so inches of snow. Bev and I didn't want Jayme to try and come up with the kids and there was a few things that we wanted Jim to bring back for lunch. So, at around 10 am we decided we'd go call them. Now, I've seen where Jim always calls so I wasn't all that concerned with going. Bev tried to go instead of me, I told her it wasn't a big deal. She said, "Do you know how far you have to go?" I said, "Ya, just down the road a bit" She said, "No, you have to go all the way to Smith's flat by the pond" Which is about 3-4 miles away. I still thought it wasn't a huge deal because it wasn't very deep where we were. So, I set out. About a half a mile away from my destination it started to get pretty bad, the snow got deeper, I knew I was in trouble. But at that point I was committed. So, I got to the top of this hill overlooking where I needed to get and hit a bad drift which was probably 3-4 feet. Totally and completely stuck. I picked up my phone...no service and started to cry. I set my phone on the console and tried to come up with a plan. I knew that Bev was going to be worried, I'm 7 months pregnant stuck in the snow...great. Just then I saw my phone had one bar. So, I tried texting Jim and it went through. I told him I was way stuck, way scared and needed help. He said he was on his way. I tried to call him, put it on speakerphone so I wouldn't have to move my phone afraid I would lose the service...I told him where I was, that it was really deep and the ground wasn't frozen so underneath the snow was slick mud. He said he was on his way with Jayme, her kids, and Logan. I told him NOOOO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW BAD IT IS!! He kind of laughed at me, like I'm this silly girl who doesn't understand, and that they had chains and they were on their way and would be there in 30 minutes. An hour goes by and I knew he was stuck. Sure enough, he called and said they were stuck not far from where I was trying to get to, probably a mile away. So, he left Jayme, Logan, and the kids in the car and set out walking to the cabin to get the front end loader to pull me out. I got out of my car to see if I could see him walking. Sure enough, I could see this tiny little figure moving slowly. Then, it looked like he turned a circle and headed back....he got lost in the fog and got turned around....walked about 5 miles the wrong way! So, I called Joe and Jeff and asked THEM TO SAVE ME! I told them they should go the other way where there probably wasn't as bad of drifts and would probably have a better shot. They decided to come the same way as Jim and I sat in my car and watched them get stuck too! I had to pee so bad I ended up peeing in a cup and dumping it out the window, ate all of Lauren's church snacks and watched Milo and Otis...some dumb kid movie about 5 times...not fun. 4 hours later, Jim finally makes it to me with the front end loader, just about the same time that Joe and Jeff made it to me too. Awful day. Don't want to do that again!

4 comments:

Kristin, Scott, Emily and Eric said...

OH NO! What is it with you and getting stuck up in the mountains, Mari? LOL..Scott and I still laugh about our engagement pics when we did that.

Higbee said...

haha That's crazy! Gotta love the snow! :) I can't believe you ALL got stuck!

Jace said...

Sounds like an enjoyable trip. Sorry I missed that. haha. I hope you can drive up there easy enough when I get home, I have some PARTIES to throw.

Marylin said...

Oh man that is awful!! I am so sorry that happened! Serves those boys right for not believing you! :) hee hee