We have moved and set up a new tank in our houses 4 times. Through that I have learned a few things...
1- Salt Water fish are soothing to watch and have beautiful, vibrant colors
2- Its an expensive hobby
3- One fish can come to your house sick and kill everything you currently have, then die itself
4- Its an expensive hobby
5-Don't build a tank into the structure of your home unless you REALLY want it to remain there
6- Its an expensive hobby
7- Its not as fun when your husband comes home one day and decides he's tired of it and sells 75% of what makes it pretty...namely all the bright coral so all you're left with is ugly rock...in the structure of your home.
We've had mostly had reef tanks (as opposed to the bigger, carnivorous fish). I liked the coral. It was bright, beautiful to look at, kids liked it, blah blah blah. Well...they require stronger lights, they're really sensative to water levels and such. So ...he decided one day that he wanted to sell it. I was unaware of such decisions and was left with a 250 gallon tank in my wall that was filled with boring, ugly rock. So I decided to buy some bigger, brighter fish to offset what was left and hopefully make it prettier to look at again. It worked, it was pretty...until one of the fish that came in the expensive group got sick and not only killed my recent investment but killed everything else that we had before they rudely moved in. Done..over it. NEXT!
But, as previously stated...what do you do with it when its BUILT into your wall? Well...you turn it into a Terrarium!
When I tell you that apparently draining a salt water tank makes your house stink....believe you me, it does
It took me a while to be able to find him....
He didn't last very long, apparently they can escape through small spaces by climbing the glass and so he is somewhere in my house. Awesome.Usually on top of each other...."MOVE! NO YOU MOVE!!!"





3 comments:
Wow, what a huge project! It looks great. I am jealous. My kids would love this. I just showed Wes the video, so cool:) Love your pictures too!
Me and Derek always drive past your house and see the glowing blue lights and we always wanted to come in and see the tank - your new pets are sooo cool. Oh and Abby did an amazing job on your pics as always
Jim and I served together in Sheffield for a few months. That was over 10 years ago now. When we weren't working, we were talking about reef tanks, and when we weren't talking about reef tanks we were talking about computers. I remember lots of conversations on building tanks and how we would build them into our walls. It was fun to see your pictures, and that Jim is still at it.
-Cory
Post a Comment