and mini turtles some turtles....
When it comes to highlights in my life I have many. The day Jim asked me to marry him, my wedding day, when I found out I was pregnant with Connor, and right up there is when my kids POOP IN THE TOILET ON THEIR OWN!!! I don't know if the ward you attend has "good news minutes" in relieft society, but if I wasn't in Primary and was able to attend Relief Society, you can rest assured that I'd proudly stand, maybe wipe a tear or two while announcing that Lilly has FINALLY pooped in the toilet! If you have ever potty trained a child you will find out very fast that it is a very traumatic experience that can only be motivated by the incentive of getting them OUT of diapers. Nothing short of that would be worth it. Even that is not worth it some days. Its like Melissa Wright said, " Its almost like they're tragically losing a part of themselves" by pooping in the toilet. My kids have always peed in the toilet just fine. They can do it great, pooping....very scary. With Connor I got a covetted toy and put it on the counter for him to plainly see and told him that if he pooped in the toilet he could have it, this was of course after painful hours of singing nursery rhymes to him as I tried to coax him the good ole fashion way of sitting on the toilet on the off chance it would occur. Weeks of that was torture, after he saw the toy...he pooped that next morning. Done and done. Lauren, similar situation...had a poop jar of yummy poop treats. (Both of these children required the added help of Miralax by the way).
Then, there was my Lilly. Granted, I'm a titch hasty with her seeing as I have a chance to have a small, yet welcomed break of NO CHILDREN IN DIAPERS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 5 YEARS. I have changed mulitple nastiness for 5 years and I could potentially have a window of a break. She has been peeing in the toilet for months, but has refused to poop in the toilet. I've tried both tactics with her, neither were appealing enough. Then I realized her main weakness in life....animals. So....I told her that I would buy her a turtle if she pooped in the toilet. She pooped that morning. So, being a woman of my word I went out and got Tiny Tim and Marley the mini turtles.
3 comments:
Oh my gosh I love this! Maybe cause I was there that morning that she went on the potty for the first time or maybe cause I love you so much and you make me laugh but nonetheless I LOVE this post!! James told me yesterday that going in the potty "is gross", oh yeah cause going in a diaper is so much less gross!! :) Gotta love it right!!
Very clever!! I am going to have to come to you for tips! I can't wait to meet the new turtles!
Oh Mari you have no idea how much I relate Preston was 4 before he would poop in the potty it was like he thought it was going to a secret world and he has to be able to control it.......When he FINALLY started going in the potty it was like heaven on Earth to me...Nothing like saving 20 on diapers....
Post a Comment