Saturday, May 22, 2010

Giant Pumpkins

So my cute dad found these GIANT pumpkin seeds on the internet. You may be asking yourself how giant are these giant pumpins? Ya...that'd be up to 1600 pounds!! He was super excited when he called to tell me that he has sent all of his grandkids some. I said, what in the Sam H am I going to do with 10 giant pumpkins? I'm not exactly what you would call Martha Stewart. I have learned in my 30 years on this earth that there are some things I'm good at, some things I am not. The only thing that I am good at growing is babies. He said that when they grow too big to lift I'm supposed to put it on a pallet so it can be lifted later. Are you serious?? I told him it would be funny to have a competition to see who could grow the biggest pumpkin, even though we all know my sister Heather will win.....it would still be funny. How right was I?

That was the Johnson's version.....here's mine (notice the one shoe'd wonder...yes those are Lauren's brand new black church shoes if you're curious)

Lets be honest, if I don't have the time or the motivation to get the paci twins off their Pacifiers I'm pretty sure trying to grow a pumpkin the size of my car doesn't stand the chance. 


In my defense I did go to the store and get good soil to fertilize it with.  And thats not to take anything away from my sweet considerate dad how awesome is he?  And I will tell you that it was the HIGHLIGHT of the kids' day.  Connor said he was in charge of the water, Lauren said she was in charge of the Solil" (soil).  Lilly....well she just likes to dig.






5 comments:

Rebecca Henrie said...

Mari, that is my favorite picture ever of your paci twins! Too adorable! Now go Mari, go! Grow a big ol' darn pumpkin!

Jeff and Melina Burgess said...

Love the paci twins! I just adore your kids like they are my own. So glad I get to see them everyday! BTW thanks for the pumpkin seeds, should we have a contest! J/K

Mari Burgess said...

I'm glad you see a few benefits to being my neighbor!! You definately unfortunately get the short end of the stick on that one, my house is like the black hole that the unlucky people who leave stuff here figure out, it never comes back out!!! You are definately included in the competition, although I have to be honest when I say that if your pumpkins grow bigger than mine I get to claim them since they use the same soil as mine do so it would only fair!

Scott and Misty said...

You didn't even enter our attempts into the equation! I'm hurt...no wait...angry...no wait...you're right....we are the family who hasn't even decided if or when we will start the challenge. Well just know that we are more of the silent, but deadly type. You wont even see our pumpkins coming but then they'll blow yours out of the dirt! -yes Mari, I realize that silent but deadly is a term for something else:)-

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

HMMMMM I am going to be waiting and watching these giants grow. Please post pictures at least monthly so we can see who is winning. How fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!1 Go for it!