When I was 8 yrs old and had the lesson in Sunday School about the power of faith, I had just got done watching the Little Mermaid and Splash for the hundredth time and decided that I had enough faith the become a mermaid. So, after saying good bye to all my friends, schoolmates, and teacher...I dumped a canister of Salt in the bath tub and sat there for 3 hours....I was really dissapointed when nothing happened.
When my dad let me get my ears pierced for my birthday, and even though he didn't allow my sister to get hers pierced till she was 12, instead of getting mad, she gave me all of her ear rings. She put them in a tic tac container and when I recognized them and asked if they were hers, she said no...the note next to the container claimed to be by a "Mr Twinkle Toes" It took years to realize they really were hers.
When My brothers and sweet uncle Jason forced me to watch Jaws and I didn't take a bath for 6 months...not exagerating. I was convinced Jaws was SURE to come up the drain. Very traumatic.
When I went to Mexico with my two cousins, we were walking to the beach with our raft in tow, some guy stopped to ask us where the Blow-Hole was, meaning the tourist attraction at El Buffadora. Before my two cousins could answer, I stopped, dropped the side of the raft I was carrying and pointed to the "Blow Hole." I decided that guy had to be the biggest idiot on the planet, asking a bunch of 8 yrs olds where the blow hole was!
When my friends Sharon, Brooke, Jackie, and I were playing in the dike down the street from the church, (instead of going to mutual) we were walking barefooted and came across a rolled up carpet padding that was sitting at the bottom of the murky water. Jokingly, we decided that it was the missing boy in the news rolled up inside. I guess we were really good at playing make believe because after an hour of pretending, we started to believe it, and when Sharon was brave enough to poke it, decided she had poked through the eye socket and we ran to the church screaming and crying. Of course when the group of adults followed us back, including Brookes dad the fireman, it was revealed to be just carpet padding.
When I got tired of sharing my room with my baby brother, I decided to move into the game room above the garage...that had no AC. Of course, the only way I could go to sleep in the 115 degree summer heat was to take a cold COLD shower right before getting into bed. That didn't last long.
When Adam and I rode our bikes to the reservoir five miles away in the dead heat of the Nevada summer, we swam for an hour before getting bored. I crashed down a dirt hill and Adam "pumped" me on his bike the entire way home. We were only 9 and 11.
When Adam and I used to play the game called, "Get on our Grandpa's horse Dina, (an old Shetland pony) smack it as hard as you can with a stick and the first to fall of lost" I always lost.
When we all went fishing at Panguitch Lake with our cousins, I had never fished let alone catch a fish, and everyone found out that the lake had been poisoned and all the fish were dead...everyone but me. I was determined to catch a fish, especially since no one else had. So, Adam put a dead fish on my line, missing an eye, and made me the hero of the trip. Mom's excuse for not fixing it for dinner was that there wasn't enough for everyone and we didn't want anyone to feel bad or go hungry. I didn't find out that that wasn't a healthy live fish till a few years ago.
When I thought I got stood up by my date, only to find out years later that the dumb boy said something disrespectful towards me and Adam calmly got up from the table where he was eating cereal and punched the guy and he left. Adam went back to eating his cereal and the guy never spoke to me again and no one told me what happened till they were laughing about it later.
When I was 14 and decided I needed Kitty Liter at Wal Mart, so I took the Van that didn't need a key, only something solid to turn the ignition over, didn't have my glasses or contacts in and severely rear-ended a lady on the way home. I was curled up in the fetal position, rocking back and forth when the cops arrived. They tried to calm me down saying my mom wasn't going to kill me like I was repeating over and over...I yelled back saying, "YOU DON'T KNOW MY MOM!" Everyone felt so bad for me that the lady took the blame and the cops let me off. No, mom didn't kill me but I didn't get my license for a while after turning 16.
When my dad got tired of us leaving stuff on the floor, he took them and put them on the top shelf of the garage and told everyone we had to buy it back, Heather bought my care bear.
When I got in trouble for farting in class and the teacher sent me into the hall, it was the first time and I was so scared, I sat in the hall and figured out how to french braid my own hair.
When Adam and I caught a gopher and put it in a cage. I don't know where I heard the word, but I said..."Man, look at those F'n teeth!!" Adam let me know not only was I getting tobasco sauce in my mouth, but that was the F-bomb.
When my cousins and I used to hide in the big package bins at the post office to break up the trip of walking to and from the pool. Sometimes people would open them and find two of us sitting there, we'd just wave and shut the door.
Thats all I remember right now
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
I remember...
Posted by Mari Burgess at 11:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Perhaps the most random mixture of mar stories ever compiled! But it helped me understand why you are the way you are :) I liked the gopher part. haha
Reminds me of when my friends and I used to steal your car when you were dating Jim. Foolish to leave your keys in there I'd say
HAHA! I'm honestly crying right now from laughing so hard. You have some good, and random, memories. I love it ! :)
i know we where destined to become great friends when i read the part about you getting in trouble for farting in class because the same thing happened to me except i didnt braid my hair in the hall and i was also 18..i imagine you where much younger but you know what i mean!!!!!!!!!!! you are hilarious birdie!!!kisses:)
I am glad I wasn't the only one obsessed with mermaids and brought religion into it!! I use to pray that this life was a dream and I really was Ariel myself and that I had red hair and prince Eric was in love with ME!
K, Mikkel, that makes me feel so much better because I was OBSESSED!! I still like any movie associated with mermaids. That was always what I pretended to be!
Okay so I was blog surfing and I happened across yours by way of like 50 others. I just wanted to say hi and Congratulations! What a scary but amazing surprise.
Also, I have to say I think I remember the van incident, come to think of it I remember a lot of crazy things. Like the bean... on fire...
Anyway, feel free to visit my blog if you want and I would really love to catch up sometime.
Candi
OH MY GOSH!!! I totally forgot we named that car The Bean! I was reading that and I couldn't figure out what you were talking about! That is so funny!
Post a Comment